Our History on Video
In 2009 a group of graduate students from University of Massachusetts Lowell developed this 25 minute video about the history of Pawtucket Congregational Church:
In 1797 a church was built near the Pawtucket Falls close to the spot where John Eliot preached to the Indians in 1647. The land was donated with the stipulation that “no structure other than a church should be built thereon”. The original building was extensively renovated in 1844 but by the 1890’s the building no longer met the needs of the congregation. After years of planning, the present red brick Romanesque-style church was built in 1898.There is an 1822 Paul Revere bell – still rung on Sundays – and an original a built-to-order organ purchased from the George Stevens Co. in East Cambridge.
The City of Lowell Historic Preservation Commission has awarded a plaque to the church for its “Windows of Faith” project to repair and restore the original stained-glass windows. The church has a long history of community involvement from anti-slave activity in the 1800s, establishment of the first temperance league in 1830, to the current Family Connection (a support group for parents of young children), our Thrift Shop as well as new member and confirmation classes.
From 2000 to 2009 we hosted the Pawtucket Living Arts Center under the director of the Pastor (a free series offered to the public to explore spiritual, healing gifts available through self-expression). In 2002 we dedicated a Memorial Garden in memory of loved ones and began our Windows of Faith Phase II to restore 2 large sanctuary windows, our slate roof and our organ. In 2007, our church was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
In 2009, we conducted a complete architectural and engineering survey of our building which resulted in a six step, ten year restoration and renewal program. In 2010 we completed the construction of a barrier-free access and lift.
This year, we are working on our entrance areas to make them more inviting to the hundreds of people who come through our doors each week.
We are an active congregation that is proud of our history and we look forward to a bright future.
For a detail Architectural Description and Historical Narrative of the Church Building, click here: History from National Registry Nomination